Coach Christian Cammayo
Coach Christian Cammayo is entering his 6th season at the helm of the Los Angeles Harbor College Women’s Volleyball program, and 21st Season coaching overall. The Harbor Women’s Volleyball program is coming off its best 3-year stretch in program history, and has set program records for wins, regional rankings, All-Conference Selections and placements.
After walking-on at UC San Diego, he also played collegiately in Australia at the University of Wollongong. He has 29 years playing experience on the beach and indoor.
Mr. Cammayo started his coaching career at Boston University while attending law school. He served as Head Coach of the BU Men’s College Club Volleyball program, and helped BU attain a #2 national ranking. He also assisted with the BU Women’s program, and was an instructor for Boston University teaching 5 volleyball classes per semester (3 indoor + 2 beach).
Professionally, Mr. Cammayo did Real Estate Development for 8 years after law school, before pivoting to his true love of sports. He went into Sports Management, and worked two seasons in the NBA for the LA Clippers, then two seasons in MLS with the LA Galaxy while winning a “Rookie of the Year” MLS Team Management award in 2010.
Mr. Cammayo went full time into coaching 11 years ago, taking over as Director of Beach Cities Volleyball Club, the largest and oldest youth volleyball club in the South Bay. Beach Cities Volleyball typically fields 25-30 youth club teams, and just celebrated their 20th anniversary. Mr. Cammayo has also spent a decade at West Torrance High School with both the Boys & Girls programs as a Varsity Coach.
On the prep level, Coach Christian has won multiple coach of the year awards, including the Whittier Daily News(All coaches), and league awards at Cantwell Sacred Heart & West Torrance High School. Coach Christian has also had his Boys Varsity team ranked #1 in CIF, coached 20+ All-CIF athletes, and has helped send over 200 athletes to play at the next level during his coaching tenure.
Prior to Harbor College, Coach Christian was very active with USA Beach Volleybal and the local South Bay Beach scene. He also had a thriving Beach Club that had multiple National Championship Tournament Bid winners. Mr. Cammayo served as Tournament Director for 10 USA Beach Volleyball Junior Events, including the prestigious USA Junior Beach Championships at the FIVB World Series of Volleyball in Long Beach, CA and the JVA Beach Volleyball Clubs of American National Championships in Hermosa Beach, CA.
Coach Christian lives in Redondo Beach with his wife Sieya, and twins Makena and Duncan. He still occasionally gets down to the sand at 2nd St Hermosa, so please say "Hi" from the Strand.
Link to some of his awards / certifications:
- 2019 Harbor College team was ranked for 80% of the season
- 2019 program record for wins
- 2019 OH Rohyn Huss led the entire state of California in Kills, Points, and Points/Set
- 2017-2019, Gold Bracket Finish U17/18, Phoenix Festival AAU West Coast Nationals (#5 in 18s Open 2019, #11 in 2018, #15 in 2017)
- 2017 CIF #1 Ranking (West Torrance Boys Volleyball)
- 2017 Pioneer League Coach of the Year
- 2015 Kamehameha Maui Invitational, Gold Bracket 5th place Finish
- 2014 Nike Tournament of Champions (Gold Bracket Finish, #13 out of 100+)
- 2009 Whittier Daily News Coach of the Year (all sports)
- 2009 Camino Real League Coach of the Year
- Certifications: USAV CAP-1, USAV BCAP, USAV IMPACT, USAV Beach Impact, NFHS, Positive Coaching Alliance Certified
- 2009 Beach Volleyball Player of the Year, Great American Volleyball (AA rating)
- 2008 War of the Roses Open Champion (Manhattan Beach)
- 2002 Open Rating, East End Volleyball (Florida)
- CBVA A & B ratings (Multiple years)
- All LA Times -San Gabriel Valley 1995
Tyler Sompa played Outside Hitter & Middle Blocker at Narbonne High School, then parlayed his All-Marine League performances into a college career at El Camino College. El Camino won the Western Conference Championship his freshman year, and was the State Runner-Up his sophomore season. Tyler is a full-time professional coach, and has great experience in the high school and collegiate ranks. Tyler has coached girls and boys throughout the South Bay at Torrance High School, West Torrance, South Torrance, Narbonne, and St Bernard High Schools. Tyler recently helped the high ranked South Torrance Boys High School Program, and currently coaches Boys Volleyball at Torrance High School. Tyler coaches club for Beach Cities Volleyball Club, and has the Boys 18s, Girls 18s & 14s. He is also the Director of the Beach Cities Volleyball High Performance summer camp programming. Tyler is currently the Associate Head Coach for the Los Angeles Harbor College Women's Volleyball program, and spent the last two seasons as the lead Assistant Men's Volleyball Coach at LA Trade Tech Community College.
Since Tyler has come to Harbor College, the program has witnessed a number of SeaHawk milestones including:
- number of all-conference selections
- number of first team all conference selections
- helping develop #3 hitter in hitting % in state, conference leader in assists, and conference leaders for kills and aces
- Program record for wins
- Program ranking for last 8 weeks of 2017 including final 2017 ranking of "Most Improved Team in the Region"
- First Top-25 win in program history
- best three year stretch in program history
- Development of overall #1 hitter in California in 2019 (Regular season State Leader in Kills, Points, Points/Set)